Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Break between academic levels

Travelling in a train is always fun for me. Train journey takes you to meet new people, get to know about their opinion, experience etc.. Now a days invasion of personal MP3 players, FM and mobile phones avoids intereaction with people. Today's generation just plugs the ear phones and they avoid chances of conversation with fellow passengers.

Well, let me come to the point. Last week I was travelling to Århus (in Denmark) by train. The journey time between Aalborg and Århus is 1:30 minutes. Since it was Autumn holiday week in Denmark, there were more passengers on the train than expected. Most of the seats in the train was reserved, so I couldn't get hold of a seat. After few minutes, I started conversation with a Danish girl who was standing next to me. She was studying in Århus university and travelling back to Århus. After we got introduced each other, I asked about her studies, university and about student life in Denmark. While she was answering my questions, I felt that she is more matured for her age. She was looking around 18 to 20 years old and she had good knowledgeble about her country, other major countries, social issues.... Out of my curiosity I asked her educational qualification. She said that she is just started her 1st semester of her graduation and she is 19 year old. After few more minutes of conversation, she told me that she took one year break after high school (equivalent to 12th Standard) and working in Estonia for YMCA. YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association) is a world-wide Christian, ecumenical, voluntary movement which seeks to share the Christian ideal of building a human community of justice with love and peace. If young people approaches to work volunterily, YMCA trains them and send it to countries where their service is required. The YMCA takes care of their food, shelter and little amount of pocket money!! So this girl went to european country-Estonia which is russian border to teach underprevilaged kids. She learned the language of Estonia and intereacted with local people for a year. During that year she got the time for herself to decide on next level of education that suits her. I learnt that it's quite common for students to take a year break from studies after 12th standard. It seems very few people directly go to University, after their 12th standard. Most of them choose to work with voluntary organizations and few others chooses to work and make money for their next level of education.

I really like the idea of taking a break from our academic years. Although I agree that situation in India is completely different from westren countries. But a year break can make you think about yourself, travel to different places, meet different people, learn some new culture and more importantly time to decide what do you really want to be. I said myself, look at the amount of knowledge and confidence this girl has !! When I compare myself at that age, I was nothing !! At that age, my world was my small town and I didn't knew much anything beyond. In India, most of us always aim for basics..bread and butter. We hardly think about doing something un-conventional. Although now a days things are changing slowly... but only in higher middle class and rich families.

The student life in Denmark is quite different compared to us. The education is free in Denmark (ofcource they pay hefty tax, ranging from 50% to 70%) and hold on, it's not just that. Government pays students 4000 DKK for every month. That was incredible !! It is free education and students gets decent amount of money which is sufficient for comfortable living.
I told her how lucky they are and she quitely acknowledged my comment.

I did not realize my journey while talking to girl. We reached Århus, almost the whole journey standing in train. I thanked her for nice conversation and we departed in our way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sriharsha said...

its coincidence that your consecutive blogs point to two major things which has to be addressed in India. Bribe and tax. We can make our country more beautiful and prosperous.

9:34 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice to know that you managed to get it done without paying any bribe. India needs more people determined to tackle this bribery menace.

4:47 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home